This course is offered as a tier two intervention for students who, in accordance with their Individualized Education Plan (IEP), require academic support within a smaller setting or who need additional support in the areas of Humanities (English Language Arts, Reading, Social Studies, and Fine Arts) or STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics). Consultation with classroom teachers, tutoring, study and organizational skill integration, modifications and accommodations, and remediation are integral parts of this course.
1. Students will bring necessary materials to Academic Support class to re-examine, reinforce and re-evaluate content presented in their classes.
2. Students and teachers will work collaboratively to identify needs and determine procedures to seek out support for improved achievement.
3. Students will set goals and develop advocacy skill in solving solutions relating to classroom concerns.
4. Students will work on honing strategies that will to their increased success.
5. Students must arrive to class on time.
6. Students must maintain a journal/planner with due dates for class assignments and have available for the Academic Support Teacher
This course is a Pass/Fail course. A passing score of 80% or better is required to earn credit.
Students can earn up to 5 points daily through the following.
A. Students arrive to class on time
B. Students have the needed materials and are prepared to work for the entire class period
C. Students are engaged for the entire class period
D. Students will maintain a log/planner reflecting their work
E. Students will demonstrate self advocacy skills relating to increased class performance
Attendance: Every three tardies equals 1 absence for each term. The student may receive a failing grade if s/he has 6 unexcused absences in a term.
Academic Support is designed to assist the student to achieve higher success in classes. This tierd intervention will be based on individual needs and these needs will drive the direction of the course and the interaction between teacher and student.