ELA 2: Pre-Advanced Placement
This summer assignment is intended to get you thinking about the concepts that will be presented in ELA2: Pre-Advanced Placement and working with fiction in a way appropriate for a Pre-AP class.
Book Options (choose 1)
Yellow Raft on Blue Water—Michael Dorris. 1987. Follows three women from three generations as they make their way through life on an Indian Reservation and in Seattle, Washington.
1984—George Orwell. 1949. Dystopian look at the future where the government is all powerful.
Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress—Dai Sijie. 2000. Semi-autobiographical account of three coming-of-age adolescents during the infamous Chinese Cultural Revolution.
Compose a well-written open response paragraph of 300-400 words addressing one of the Essential Questions listed below.
- In the face of adversity, what causes some to prevail while others fail?
- What is the relationship of the title to the rest of the work?
- What can we learn from generations?
- What is the relevance of studying multi-cultural texts?
- What is freedom?
- What are the purposes and/or consequences of creating and/or maintaining a dystopian society?
- Why do people continue to pursue the concept of a utopian society?
- What turning points determine our individual pathways to adulthood?
Each essay must have a clear claim that addresses the Essential Question and how it interacts with the novel, have multiple pieces of textual evidence to support the claim, have thoughtful discussion about why the claim is correct, address and rebut a possible counterclaim using textual evidence.
Follow the format on the back of this paper (MLA)
Submit an E-Copy only to www.Turnitin.com
Upon Return to School
A 15 question quiz on your chosen book will be given. Plan on the quiz being given Sept 1, 2015.
Last Name 1
Mrs. Keenan/Ms. Gauthier/ Mrs. Biancuzzo
1 September 2015 (date the essay is due)
Guidelines for Papers
- Double Spaced (like this document)
- 12 point font (like this document)
- Standard font style (Calibri, Cambria, Arial, Times New Roman - like this document)
- 1” margins on all four sides (like this document)
- Left Justify (like this document)
- Heading appears in the above manner
- Last name in upper right hand corner with page number (Insert → Page Number)
- When using a direct quotation/paraphrase, the author and page number follows in parentheses
- “I have won the fight” (Steinbeck 35).
- When any citation is used, a Works Cited listing MUST be included (unless otherwise noted); use www.easybib.com
9. Submit essays to www.turnitin.com by September 1, 2015; no late papers will be allowed to be submitted as the “window” will close at midnight on September 1, 2015.
Course Name: ELA2: Pre-AP Summer Assignment
ID Number: 10088748
Password: Summer (case sensitive)
The assigned teacher to the turnitin account is Mrs. Gauthier.
If you run into any problems, please contact your teacher long before September 1, 2015 at:
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org ; email@example.com;